This task is centered around the Shinnecock Indian Reservation, located in Southampton, NY and is designed to update roads and significant buildings so that local mappers can conduct ground-truthing and tagging operations.
See the Wikipedia entry for more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinnecock_Indian_Nation
- Entities to Map
- Roads, buildings, prominent geographic features such as landforms, transport terminals, and infrastructure.
- Changeset Comment
- #teachosm-task-233 #map4america #ags #geography2050 #newyork
TIPS * Add TIGER streets to your background imagery for reference and comparison with OpenStreetMap data: - In iD, open the Background preferences, and tick the box for 'New & Misaligned TIGER Roads' - In JOSM, open the Imagery menu, and select TIGER 2012 Roads Overlay
- Toggle between Bing imagery and Mapbox imagery to help identify features. One set of imagery may offer sharper image, easier recognition of objects on the ground.
- In iD, you can do this using Ctrl-B
INSTRUCTIONS * Digitize all missing roads. Re-align OpenStreetMap data to the imagery. If the TIGER is acceptably correct, use it for naming. - Tag roads according to usage. In most cases, this will be 'unclassified' or 'unknown'. Refer to the wiki section on tagging road features.
Digitize all buildings. These will be useful later as structure points.
Check the TIGER layer.
- Does it align with roads on the imagery? Are there large deviations?
- Is TIGER road coverage complete in this area? (Ignore driveways, livestock trails, farm field access)
- Please note it in the changeset comments using #TIGER_quality